Wed, Jun 29|
INTRO TO NAVIGATION SKILLS - CLASSROOM 3 HR
Feel comfortable travelling off road by land or water. This course is designed for the first time navigator, adventure racers, or someone wishing to brush up their skills. This indoor only clinic will introduce the basic terminology and techniques of successful navigation.
Time & Location
Jun 29, 2022, 6:00 PM
Wilderness Supply, 50 Isabel St, Winnipeg, MB R3A 1E6, Canada
About the event
Topics Covered Include:
- Read and interpret topographic maps
- Understand and plot 6 digit UTM co-ordinates
- Learn how to orient your map, take a bearing on land and how to transfer it to your map
- Understand navigation terminology such as: back bearing, line of sight, aiming off, catching, features/handrails, etc.
- Practice taking bearings, plotting and travel (indoor practice)
- Navigation strategy and common sense tips
5:45 PM - Meet at Wilderness Supply at 50 Isabel St.
6:00 - 9:00 PM: Classroom instruction
- Compass (preferably one with a sighting mirror and declination adjustment like the Silva Expedition S)
- Pen and notepad to take notes
- A course manual will be provided to all participants at the beginning of the course.