Racer Update #1 - September 11, 2009
Here are some REALLY important things you need to know prior to the race:
**We recommend (and strongly encourage) that if possible teams arrive on Fri and drop gear and register to avoid being rushed on race day**
1. Canoe and Bike Drop-off. Racers must drop their canoes and bikes at the Falcon Lake Community Center. We will be storing the equipment in the Curling Club which is a enclosed and locked facility with security cameras. Please make sure that you drop your canoes and bikes (and all transition gear) BEFORE you arrive at Falcon Trails Resort for registration. You will be met by a volunteer at the CC to help organize and arrange your equipment. Everything must be clearly labeled with your team name and number (you will find out your number upon arrival). Our race crew will transport your equipment from their to the appropriate transition zones.
For the Canoe TA you will need: 1 labeled bag to fit all mandatory canoe items, spare food, snacks, water, gear
For the Bike TA you will need: 1 labeled bag/ or box to fit all mandatory bike items, spare food, snacks, water, gear
**You will have to stop at the Falcon Lake CC to pick up some equipment on your way home. Please pick up ALL your equipment following the race as there were many items left over last year**
Pick up times are as follows:
- Sat post race: 6pm - 9pm
- Sun morning : 8am - 12pm
2. Please review all mandatory gear items you will need to complete each section of the race! Canoe Rentals - we have only been able to line up 5 canoe rentals to date (which have been reserved for the first 5 people to email us this year). We are working to locate another 5-8 canoes but will not be able to confirm with you until September 20.
3. Race STARTS at 9:00 AM. Racers must be at the start line no later than 8:45 AM on Saturday, September 26, 2009
4. * NEW* Swamp Donkey Race Merchandise will be available. This year we have a new style and very technical T-shirt. We also have a limited number of bike Nav Boards for sale. Pre-Order your T-shirts now and take advantage of the pre-order discount available! Tech Sox will also be on hand with special Swamp Donkey pricing
5. We are CASH ONLY on race day. There is a Interac machine is available in the town at the Falcon Lake Hotel. Things you may want to bring cash for are:
- Breakfast - plan for between $5.00 and $8.00 for breakfast on a bun, pancakes and coffee, etc.
- Race merchandise - T-Shirts, Nav Boards, Tech Sox (Swamp Donkey Merchandise above)
- Post race Beverages!!! Don't miss our post race party with Winnipeg band Pushing Daisies
6. Post Race meal is provided for you and catered by The Falcon Lake Bakery. Tickets will be in your racer bags. Menu will include pulled pork, buns, baked beans, salad, veggie wraps (vegetarian) and dessert.
- Vegetarian meal must be ordered in advance
- Family and friends can dine for $13 a meal
- Extra meal tickets must be ordered by Sept. 20/ 09
7. Accomodations are still available for race weekend. The Falcon Lake Hotel still has some rooms available, contact Derek and his friendly staff at 204.349.8400 to book a room. Falcon Trails and Falcon Ranch are both sold out
8. This month's Navigation Course at Wilderness Supply is now full. Be sure to stop by and see Rick and his awesome staff at Wilderness Supply 623 Ferry Rd. and pick up your compasses, map cases and other mandatory gear well before the race.
9. Visit Tim and his knowledgeable staff at Woodcock Cycle Works to service your bike before you get to the race and take it out for a test ride. Racers get priority service and a special 'Swamp Donkey" discount. Bicycles are machines that require maintenance. Don't wait until the last moment to get your bike "tuned-up" before this years Swamp Donkey Race because nothing is more frustrating than bike mechanicals. We've seen racers drop from a sure win due solely to bike problems.
The Swamp Donkey Adventure Race crew has put hundreds of hours into making this years event an amazing experience for all of our racers. We are excited for this years race and would like to thank all our sponsors, racers and hard working volunteers!